Donated to Museum by: Pete Gagan History: This 1910 White Replica is powered by a 2 cylinder compound steam engine which at the time was much more sophisticated than the Stanley steamers
It is generally believed that the museum’s 1914 FWD is a WW1 unit. When the war ended there was a glut of vehicles and many were repurposed for for construction and utility work. The BC Electric Company was largely a British influenced and managed company at that time, which likely explains why they purchased this truck from England.
• Federal Trucks built trucks from 1910 to 1959 and started on Federal Ave in Detroit. • The company started as Bailey Motor Truck by Martin L. Pulcher, who also started the Oakland Motor Car Company but the First truck was named Federal Trucks.
• International Harvester built trucks from 1914 to 1986 and in 1987 it became Navistar International Corp. • Alongside trucks and agricultural equipment, IH produced Cars, construction equipment, diesel industrial engines, gas turbines and even household appliances.
Donated by Gary Jackson Mechanical prep by Mike Breed This 1929 Ford AA was used as a produce truck by Peters & McQuine of Victoria from 1929 into the early 1950s. It was manufactured at Ford's Ford city plant in Walkerville. Walkerville was taken over by the city of Windsor in September 1929. The cost of the truck new was $695. The model AA was produced from 1927 to 1932 This 1929 Ford model AA was previously at the former BC transportation museum in Cloverdale
Donated by the Williams Family Williams Moving and Storage was founded in 1929 by George Williams Sr. to provided a moving service for new immigrant families in the Vancouver area. The Family-owned company expanded and grew to 14 locations and became one of Western Canada’s largest moving companies. George started Williams moving with one truck, a 1928 Graham.
Shell Tanker : A typical design of the late 1920’s, this tanker was part of Shell Oil’s Vancouver Fleet delivering fuel to local gas stations. Bob King purchased this unit from Shell oil in 1939. The restoration project was carried out in 1986 by Shell Oil Canada and involved staff of the BC Provincial Museum, Shell Canada, White Trucks (Burnaby), Columbia Remtec, Rolland’s Heavy Truck Repair and Ace Radiator and upholstery.
Chevrolet set a new standard with the Introduction of a new 6 cylinder overhead valve engine in 1929. The engine increased the carrying capacity, power and torque. The term “Stovebolt” is a historic moniker applied to the famed Chevrolet L-6 overhead valve engines first produced by Chevrolet in 1929 and manufactured until 1962. Other Chevrolet and Maple Leaf trucks in our collection are actually “Stovebolts” as well. This is one of the first produced.