1950's and newer
This BC Tel unit was found rusting in a field outside of Nanaimo, B.C. In 1991-1992 it arrived at BC Tel's 10th Avenue fleet shop in Burnaby. It was totally restored to it's original condition by BC Tel shop staff. This style of vehicle (pick-up with box insert) was typical of BC Tel's standard "Installation and Repair" trucks until the introduction of the commercial van in the early 1960's. This 1951 Chevy Pick Up truck was restored to commemorate BC Tel's 100 years of telephone service.
Donated by Allen Vandekerkhove, Victoria, B.C. The International R-160 was a mid range truck built from 1953 to 1955, one of several models offered from light duty pick-up trucks to heavier trucks. The R-100 to R-180 series were replaced in 1955, with the remaining models in the series, the heavy duty models, such as the R-190 (tilt cab) and the R-205 (cab over engine) continued until 1972. This truck served in transporting material for Civil Defence in Vcitoria, B.C. The Canadian Ciciel Defence organization began circa 1948 to assist federal,provincial and municiopal authorities in planning for public air-raid shelters, emergency food and medical supplies, and the evacuation of likely target areas during the Cold War era.
Donated to Museum by: Family of Sid Laturnus History: This 1953 Austin 840 Devon Countryman was built for the North American market and sold by the well known Vancouver dealership Fred Deeley Motors located on West Broadway. Established in 1917 to sell British cars. The Austins and other British cars were shipped in custom built crates, offloaded from ship dockside in Vancouver and taken to Deeley’s service department for pre delivery prep. The cars were crated on their hubs with the wheels packed inside the cars.
Donated to the Museum by: District of Hope Fire Dept Sponsor: Jordie’s Auto Rescue https://www.facebook.com/jordiesautorescue/ History: The Hope Fire Dept received this truck in 1955. Mr. & Mrs. John Lane took the CPR’s train from Hope to Montreal to pickup the Fire Truck and drive it back home. The truck was built by Thibault, a prominent Canadian Fire apparatus manufacturer located in Pierreville Quebec. The Fire engine service for decades in the Southern Fraser canyon, Hope, and Hope Princeton area. The truck has been at the BC Vintage Truck Museum since September, 2015. It has been seen transporting Santa and his sleigh through the Cloverdale Christmas Parade for the last couple of years
Donated by: Amazon, Man in the High Castle Productions, Jovan Vujatovic Sponsored by: Open to new Sponsor, contact the museum if interested! History: This truck has made several appearances in the popular series “The Man in the High Castle” which was filmed locally in the lower mainland. The museum was lucky enough to receive this truck as a donation when the filming of the final episode of the series was completed
On October 23 2017, the BC Vintage Truck Museum accepted it’s latest donation, a fully restored 1957 Diamond T Model 921BN. Donated by Bruce Ledingham, he tells us his Dad ordered it from Diamond T is Chicago and looked just like this when arrive in Vancouver. Bruce restored it exactly as it was delivered and he always had a soft spot for this great truck and he even was a spare driver for the truck back in the day.
GW Ledingham & Company Limited used the Diamond T to pull a low bed to move excavators , cats and loaders that needed to be moved. The winch was on there to pull any disabled equipment onto the trailer.
The Third-generation Dodge Van, The Ram Van “B” model was introduced part way through 1970 as a 1971 model and continued until 2003 with 2 minor facelifts. They were assembled at the Fenton, Missouri, plant at first, then A new plant in Windsor, Ontario (Pillette Road, or Plant #6) was completed to help fill demand. The Van was popular with Tradesmen, families and customizers as the custom Van scene was just around the corner. Available as a B 100, 1/2 ton, B 200 3/4 ton and B 300 1 ton the were refered to as the “B’ Series.