1932 INTERNATIONAL & 1935 HAYES TRAILER: INTERNATIONAL’s “A” series was considered ultra-modern for its time. Canadian-built “A” models were manufactured in Hamilton, Ontario.
(Donated to the Museum by Dr. Peter Heinrich) This 1 ½ ton flat deck Chevy truck was purchase in 1935 by David Heinrich Sr. from Brett’s Chevrolet in Chilliwack. The truck replaced horse and wagon, hauling hay from his field in Sumas Prairie to his dairy farm in Yarrow. The truck was always sheltered, usually in the barn.
Tyler Lindberg of Waldo BC, bought the 1935 Maple Leaf truck in Fernie. He and his wife, Ida, went on their honeymoon in this truck. • In the 1930s Tyler got paid 1 cent for each Christmas tree. He cut them in the bush around Waldo and delivered them to Cranbrook. • Trucks like this sold for approx $1250 new
Description The first DODGE K52 AIRFLOW was produced in December 1934, ushering in a brief ‘steamline’ era in truck production. Between 1934 and 1940 249 AIRFLOW trucks were built – 29 of which were made for Standard Oil Company, based in New Jersey and California. Standard Oil established British Columbia operations in 1935 after purchasing the Dominion Oil Company. In that same year, a K52 AIRFLOW was driven from California to Begg Bros. Motors, a Vancouver Dodge/DeSoto dealer, and purchased by Standard Oil representatives on August 14, 1935.
A. Tilt reportedly said more than once “A truck doesn’t have to be homely” • Diamond T’s of all sizes had a certain amount of style and class with Flowing fender lines, aggressive grilles and rakish cabs. • Many trucks came with electric clocks and Cigar lighters. • Two years before the streamlined Dodge Airflow trucks, Diamond T built a streamlined “Doodle Bug” for Texaco gas. • It has been reported that Diamond T bought leftover 1934 Packard dash panels and gauges for the 1935 trucks.
Like so many trucks that have travelled endless miles over endless highway, this 1936 Model 87 INDIANA carries many memories in its cab. Mr. Andy Craig started into the trucking business hauling freight with his father in the Vancouver area. Inland Motor Freight, the independent operation Mr. Craig started in 1937, hauled freight between Vancouver and Pentiction in a 1936 INDIANA. Still in the future were the safe, smooth roads travelers enjoy today.
Bob King purchased this 1937 MACK EQ from Shell Oil of Vancouver in the late forties. King used the tractor for only a short time before it was put into storage. During the restoration process, Provincial Museum staff removed the tractor’s fifth wheel to convert the MACK into a flat deck. The current body design is typical of coal trucks used in the 1930’s and 1940’s. Decks were often depressed along the centerline so that coal bags could be transported without tying them down.
Vans like this one carried general freight in all weather through the often treacherous Fraser Canyon. Because of the narrow roads, sharp curves and wooden bridges, trucks using this route were limited to a length of 30 feet and 30,000 lbs. GVWR. Originally a tractor, Bob King acwuired this truck when he purchased Sea-Van Motor Freight in 1946. The truck was restored in the livery of Vanderspek’s Transportation by Lions Gate Painting.