1955 GMC FIRE TRUCK
Donated by the District of Hope Fire Department
• The District of Hope received this GM C 450/Thibault fire truck on July 8, 1955.
• Mr. & Mrs. John Lane took the "Canadian" streamlined passenger train to Quebec, then drove the Firetruck home to Hope.
• The Firetruck served Hope and area, including the southern end of the Fraser Canyon, and the western part of the Hope Princeton for decades.
• 2,955 Litres per minute, 625 gpm(Gallon per minute) triple combination pumper with 2,273 Litre 500 Imp. Gal water booster tank.
• Thibault Fire Trucks were sold throughout the US, in Jamaica, Columbia and Chile, and the Middle East.
• Based in Pierreville, Québec Thibault operated under the name Thibault Fire Trucks from 1928 to 1992
• The History of GMC trucks is almost as long as the automobile itself.
• In 1901 in Pontiac Michigan, two brothers, Max and Morris Grabowsky built a prototype truck.
• Named the Rapid Motor Vehicle Company, they were responsible for some of the very first trucks and certainly the first commercial truck operated in Detroit.
• A 1909 Rapid Model F six-passenger truck successfully climbed Pikes Peak.
• The Rapid Motor Vehicle Company and the Reliance Motor Company were bought by upstart General Motors.
• The truck division was renamed GMC Trucks and the first truck bearing this name was first shown at the 1912 New York Auto Show.
• Introducing mass production to trucks GMC and 22,000 of these trucks were built.
• Offered as either upright fronts or curved "French Styled" fronts.
• Many trucks had Electric drievtrains, including the 1914 model 2B and 4A trucks. In 1927 Cannon Ball Baker drove a new GMC truck loaded with Alantic Ocean from New York to San Francisco.
• The truck used a 61 hp Buick 274 cid "Master Six" Over Head valve engines that were offered in GMC trucks.
• WWII production of Chevrolet and GMC trucks was 600,000 trucks.
The Museum received the fire engine in September 2015.
Model: GMC 454-30
Engine: 302 cu. In 250 HP 6 cyl. Gasoline
Transmission: 5 Speed Transmission 157" WB
Fuel capacity: 14 Imp.gal fuel tank (10 mpg)
Fire Suppression Apparatus Specifications :
2,955 Litres per minute, 625 gpm(Gallon per minute) triple combination pumper with 2,273 Litre 500 Imp. Gal water booster tank.
14' roof ladder Fog gun.
2 ½ " hose 4 ½ "suction hose Federal G66 siren
Federal Scatter Ray light
The District of Hope Fire Department was also kind enough to donate many period correct accessories such as axes, fire extinguishers and protective gear.
History of Thibault Fire Trucks
Thibault is the oldest family run manufacturers of fire fighting vehicles in Canada. Starting in the early 1900,s Thibault Fire Trucks was actually building fire fighting equipment Internationally for many decades. Trucks were sold throughout the US, in Jamaica, Columbia and Chile, and the Middle East.
Based in Pierreville, Québec Thibault operated under the name Thibault Fire Trucks from 1928 to 1992. Founder Pierre Thibault died in 1961 leaving his company to his 9 sons. Pierre started making handpumps and building horse-drawn fire apparatus for small Québec communities after WWi as part of his father's company.
Moving to Pierreville in 1938 and made some Crash trucks for the Canadian government during WWII. Following that with sales to municipal fire departments across Canada and even some custom chassis and ladder trucks in the 1950's.
The Thibault family instigated many advancements in fire fighting equipment over the years. At one point in time nearly every fire department in Canada had a Thibault Firetruck.
During the 60's some of the Brothers opened their own fire equipment bisiness in Saint-François-du-Lac. The rest ofthe family members sold their shares and in 1990 Carl Thibault and his wife with help from various investors started a new company in an 8,000-sq. ft. building. With the help of former employees joining the new concern, in particular a key foreman who took over the technical side while Carl conncentrated on sales.
With a new name, Carl Thibault Fire a 4,000-sq. ft. extension allowed for a production increase, while the new owners of Thibault decided to stop producing fire equipment in favour of Buses. They sold the name Thibault to an American Fire equipment company.
Presently Carl Thibault Fire Trucks has sales in Québec, Ontario and the Maritimes.