Bob King purchased this 1937 MACK EQ from Shell Oil of Vancouver in the late forties. King used the tractor for only a short time before it was put into storage. During the restoration process, Provincial Museum staff removed the tractor's fifth wheel to convert the MACK into a flat deck. The current body design is typical of coal trucks used in the 1930's and 1940's. Decks were often depressed along the centerline so that coal bags could be transported without tying them down.
The 6 cylinder, 90 horsepower MACK has a 5-speed transmission.
MACK trucks earned the nickname "bulldog" during World War 1, when MACK's AC model vehicles gained a reputation for their strength and reliability in military service. The actual bulldog mascot was designed in 1932, and has adorned every MACK vehicle since.
The MACK company turned out its 1,000,000 vehicle in 1986, celebrating over 80 years of quality production.
©2013 BC Transportation Heritage Museum
Thank-you to the following sponsors to date; City of Surrey ; Cobra Electric; Lark Construction, Jim Winter Collectable Car Appraisals.