Vans like this one carried general freight in all weather.
The Bryce System operation purchased the INTERNATIONAL D-40 in 1937 to haul on its Seattle-to-Vancouver run. Bob King acquired the tractor when he purchased the Bryce System's Sea-Van Motor Freight in 1946. The 6 cylinder, 100 horsepower tractor was put into storage in 1948.
The INTERNATIONAL was converted to a wrecker in 1975-1976 by provincial Museum staff but later restored to its original configuration. The tractor is currently displayed in the Vanderspek Transportation livery as restored by Lions Gate Painting.
Previously it was displayed as a Lee's Transport truck, a well known British Columbian Interior firm, that carried general freight from Vancouver to Prince George through the often treacherous Fraser Canyon. Because of the narrow roads, sharp curves and the wooden bridges, vehicles using this route were limited to a length of thirty feet and a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of 30,000 lbs.
13 - 13
©2013 BC Transportation Heritage Museum
Thank-you to the following sponsors to date; City of Surrey ; Cobra Electric; Lark Construction, Jim Winter Collectable Car Appraisals.