BC Vintage Truck Museum, Cloverdale, Surrey BC Canada

1935 DIAMOND T:

 

• Diamond T - "The Cadillac of Trucks"

 

• Founder C.A. Tilt reportedly said more than once “A truck doesn’t have to be homely”

 

• Diamond T's of all sizes had a certain amount of style and class with Flowing fender lines, aggressive grilles and rakish cabs.

 

• Many trucks came with electric clocks and Cigar lighters.

 

• Two years before the streamlined Dodge Airflow trucks, Diamond T built a streamlined "Doodle Bug" for Texaco gas.

 

• It has been reported that Diamond T bought leftover 1934 Packard dash panels and gauges for the 1935 trucks.

 

• This 1935 DIAMOND T low-bed was created by Bob King from Haggart Transport of Vancouver in 1950 and put directly into storage

 

• The chain-driven DIAMOND T is typical of lowbed trucks in the 1930's and 1940's, that were eventually replaced by modern lowbed trucks

 

• The DIAMOND T Motor Company was started by Charles Arthur Tilt of Chicago, Illinois in 1905 and put out it's first cars in the same year

 

• After introducing large trucks in 1911, DIAMOND T halted car production to focus exclusively on large vehicle manufacturing.

 

• DIAMOND T's 3/4-ton pickup, a valuable collector's item, was introduced in the mid-thirties.

• Registration 8,750 Diamond T trucks in 1936 was the builders best year.

 

• variations of the light truck were built until 1949-1950 when DIAMOND T turned to heavy duty vehicle production.

 

• The variety of trucks available is vast. According to a classic glass suppliers they have gals for the following models....1935 Diamond T Truck TRUCKS, Cab & Express Models HC, HCL, H20, H21, H22, H30, H31, H33, H34, H43, H44, , KC, KCL, K20, K20X, K3O, K32, K33, K34, K45, K46, K47, KF32, KF33, KF34, KH30, KH31, KH32, KH33, KH34, KHF30, KHF31, KHF32, KHF33-1/2 TO 2 Tons

• Upon Charles Tilt's death, Motor Company assumed control of the DIAMOND T

 

• 10 years later REO and Diamond T were merged into "DIAMOND REO"

 

• Approximately 250,000 Diamond T trucks were built over it's 56 year history.

 

 

This 1935 DIAMOND T lowbed was created by Bob King from Haggart Transport of Vancouver in 1950 and put directly into storage.  The chain-driven DIAMOND T is typical of lowbed trucks in the 1930's and 1940's, that were eventually replaced by modern lowbed trucks.

 

The DIAMOND T Motor Company was started by Charles Arthur Tilt of Chicago, Illinois in 1905 and put out it's first cars in the same year.  After introducing large trucks in 1911, DIAMOND T halted car production to focus exclusively on large vehicle manufacturing.  DIAMOND T's 3/4-ton pickup, a valuable collector's item, was introduced in the mid-thirties and variations were built until 1949-1950 when DIAMOND T turned to heavy duty vehicle production.

 

After Charles Tilt died in 1956, the White Motor Company assumed control of the DIAMOND T operation and production was moved to Lansing, Michigan.  The White Company maintained the DIAMOND T name until 1966, when White's "DIAMOND REO" division was created.

 

The famous DIAMOND T logo was originally used by Charles' father  J.E. Tilt whose line of quality shoes first carried the distinctive trademark.  Charles Tilt continued the tradition in his vehicle line.

 

1935 Diamond T Model 227 1-1/2 ton truck

 

Specifications

Engine: Hercules gasoline straight-six

Displacement: 228 cubic inches

Rated power: 80 hp

Transmission: Clark four-speed manual

Unloaded capacity: 1.5 tons

Body: 14-gauge sheet metal

 

http://www.mervbergman.net/1940-diamond-t-model-201/a-history-of-the-diamond-t-truck/

 

http://www.classicflatglass.com/Auto_N_Truck_Manufacturers/Diamond_T_Truck/1935_Diamond_T_Truck/1935_Diamond_T_Truck.htm