1932 INTERNATIONAL & 1935 HAYES TRAILER:
INTERNATIONAL's "A" series was considered ultra-modern for its time. Canadian-built "A" models were manufactured in Hamilton, Ontario.
Purchased for King's Motor Cartage, the 1932 INTERNATIONAL A-4 was converted from a flatdeck to a tractor in 1935 in order to haul a HAYES trailer. The 6 cylinder, 96 horsepower INTERNATIONAL has a 5-speed transmission, single -speed rear axle and vacuum assisted mechanical brakes.
In tow is a 1935 trailer manufactured by Hayes company of Vancouver. The 1935 HAYES is a typical flatdeck semi-trailer of the 1930's and 1940's.
During World War II years, the team hauled stern tubes and gun mounts destined for ships being built in North Vancouver shipyards. After the war, the tractor and trailer returned to hauling general freight until 1948, when the INTERNATIONAL was put into storage at King's Pender Street warehouse in Vancouver.
12 - 12
©2013 BC Transportation Heritage Museum
Thank-you to the following sponsors to date; City of Surrey ; Cobra Electric; Lark Construction, Jim Winter Collectable Car Appraisals.